Post Decree Modifications to Spousal Support

Pierre Domercq Post Decree Modifications

Spousal support is quite common, especially in marriages which last longer than ten years. Can an order of spousal support be modified down the road? What happens if the Judge issued a Gavron Warning and the time has come and gone?
This is why it is important to work with the experienced family law attorneys at Burke & Domercq. We have represented clients in post decree modifications to spousal support for decades. If you are going to ask the Court to consider a modification there must generally be a significant change in the “Status Quo” – the financial income or standard of living of one of the parties.
For example, if the recipient has moved in with a new partner they may no longer require the same level of support. If the person paying spousal support has experienced a significant increase or decrease in income there may be grounds to request a change in spousal support.
It will be interesting to see how the proposed tax reform affects existing spousal support orders. The proposed changes may change the financial equation for many of those who are receiving or paying spousal support requiring a request for post decree modifications to spousal support.
If you have been through a divorce in Carlsbad Oceanside Encinitas or North County and wish to ask the court for modifications to support or to enforce the Gavron Warning issued to your spouse we invite you to contact us or call 760-712-3741 to schedule an appointment with one of our skilled attorneys.