Dedicated And Experienced Carlsbad Child Custody Lawyers
In the area of family law, child custody and visitation matters can be among the most contentious and the most emotional. Since they involve issues related to parent-child relationships, the well-being of children and family structure, it is important to have legal representation that you feel confident about.
Protect Your Rights And Obtain The Best Possible Arrangements
At Burke & Domercq, LLP, our attorneys assist clients with challenging custody and visitation matters. We can help you protect your rights and obtain the best possible arrangements for yourself and your children if you have custody or visitation concerns related to divorce or to children born outside a marriage. Our attorneys can help you get answers to essential questions about:
- Types of custody: What exactly will legal and physical custody mean in my case, whether it is sole, joint or a combination thereof? What is the difference between having legal custody and actually being able to spend enough time with my kids?
- Relocation: Am I going to be allowed to move away with my child? What if my former spouse wants to move? If we can’t agree on relocation arrangements, who decides, and how?
- Agreeing on custody and visitation out of court: Can we come up with our own agreement? Will the court honor our agreement? If we cannot come up with an agreement, what criteria will the court use to determine what is best for our child?
- Parenting plans: Do these differ for children of different ages? Should we keep the kids together or should we separate them? Who decides on this and how?
- Grandparents and other relatives: How do grandparents fit into the equation? What about grandparent visitation?
- Fees: Who pays the attorney fees? How are fees determined? Are different fee structures available?
With regard to custody, California law gives no preference to one parent of a child based on that parent’s gender, age, wealth, disability, race, creed, religion or employment status. State law generally says that a court shall award child custody jointly, or if to one parent, it should be to the parent most willing to share the child with the other parent. Serving the best interest of a child is the guiding principle in all custody decisions.
Every situation is different. Developing your case will involve the presentation of facts that show that you properly nourish, nurture and care for your child while generously providing continuing contact with the other parent. If domestic violence is involved, these factors may not apply, and a court’s discretion in awarding custody to a person convicted of domestic violence is extremely limited.
Contact The Firm’s Dedicated And Experienced Carlsbad Child Custody And Visitation Attorneys
Contact the Carlsbad child custody attorneys of Burke & Domercq, LLP, or call (760) 712-3741 for honest, practical advice regarding your legal matter.
After an initial consultation with one of our lawyers, you will have a clear understanding of your legal rights and your options for resolving your child custody or visitation issue. Credit cards are accepted. We are located in Carlsbad, serving families in Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach and all of North County San Diego.